God has us on a journey. One of adventure. Of learning. Of battles. Of love. Growth is this journey realized. So here is our story.

Friday, June 26, 2009

Hooray for UVa!

Ode to Virginia...
Earlier this week I caught my boys both wearing their University of Virginia shirts and I couldn't resist this shot. And now I can't stop reminiscing about the good ol' days in C-Ville, Virginia. Charlottesville was the perfect quintessential college town. Every Saturday in the fall the town was filled with a sea of orange as mobs of people made their way to Scott Stadium for the big football game. And every time the Cavs scored a goal we would all stand, put our arms around each other, and sing the fight song:
"That good ole' song of Wahoo-wah, We'll sing it o'er and o'er, it cheers our hearts and warms our blood to hear them shout and roar. We come from old Virginia, where all is bright and gay. Let's all join hands and give a yell for dear old UVa. Wahoo-wah, wahoo-wah, Uni-v Virginia, hoo-rah-ray, hoo-rah-ray, ray! ray! U-Va!"
I get butterflies in my stomach just humming it:-)
Of course there were the incredibly beautiful seasons that made Charlottesville charming, too. I can remember driving to work at the University Medical Center on early October mornings and looking out across big hills displaying a rainbow of reds, oranges, and yellows. It was just spectacular.
There were quaint used bookstores, summer swims in the river, historic riches in Jefferson's university, strolls along UVa's Lawn, and the intoxicating smell of honeysuckle in the spring.
But most importantly, there were dear--and I mean dear--friends. Our small group of friends became our family, our home away from home, and gave eternal meaning to our big move across the country. We laughed together (almost constantly), traveled together ("Georgia on my mind"), served together, prayed together, and shared our hearts with each other. Through these friends I learned what it truly means to love another selflessly. Brandon and I were loved like never before.
So thank you, Virginia, for giving us East Coast beauty, a D-1 college experience, and the friends of a lifetime.



No comments:

Post a Comment