God has us on a journey. One of adventure. Of learning. Of battles. Of love. Growth is this journey realized. So here is our story.

Monday, February 28, 2011

Time to laugh

This morning my heart's prayer is for perspective. It seems that each Sunday I get in a funk...Church brings up emotions that have been hiding all week, Bran and I argue about stupid stuff and then try to analyze our marriage, and then I get stressed looking at the week ahead. On our walk yesterday, it just kind of hit me how serious we take ourselves. That has always been our virtue to a fault--we try to stay healthy, go deep, and analyze everything--to the point where we can't just enjoy the moment and laugh at ourselves. That is exactly what I want to do right now--laugh. Laugh at our feeble attempts to protect ourselves from the inevitable pain of big life changes. Laugh at the silly things we stress about, when really, there is nothing that should concern us. Laugh at my expectations for a perfect life in Arizona when I've only lived here 6 months! Laugh at the way Bran and I hone in on the tiny bumps in our marriage instead of rejoicing in the wonderful family we have created. Because really, life is good. We get to just be students for 3 years...soaking in exciting knowledge, being in stimulating academic environments, advancing our careers...all while enjoying a quiet family life in the desert. This season of life is a gift. And I want to laugh at myself as I constantly miss what's right in front of me.

2 comments:

  1. What a great post Monique. Thanks for sharing! As always I think Danielle and I can learn quite a bit from you and Brandon's journey through life. It is refreshing to hear you talk about, "How serious we take ourselves...," and where you say, "That is exactly what I want to do right now-laugh. Laugh at our feeble attempts to protect ourselves from the inevitable pain of big life changes. Laugh at the silly things we stress about, when really, there is nothing that should concern us." I really think the words you have put down here are something I have needed to hear for awhile. Our new life in Oakland is hard, but we really do have a lot of things going for us. Thank you for your help in looking for that new perspective on life...

    Here is to not taking ourselves too seriously and for prayers of God's grace in seeing the incredible things in our lives that are already in front of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl! Loved "catching up" with you on your blog. I think the serious analysis bit runs in the family :). I have a supervisor who always asked me, even when he was receving chemotherapy treatments (he's in his 80's and has leukemia who kept supervising me until his body said no), "are you having fun today? Because if you're not it's not worth it." He had fun with even the depressed psychotic patients. I think that's what gave him the ability to work so long--it wasn't work. Anyway, let's lighten up together! Life is too short! Love you guys a ton, and glad to see that you're out and about having tons of fun!

    ReplyDelete