God has us on a journey. One of adventure. Of learning. Of battles. Of love. Growth is this journey realized. So here is our story.

Friday, January 15, 2010

Wisdom from the French girl

So my mom has requested that I post little updates of my progress on my "new year's theme" throughout the year. The first thing that comes to my mind is a delightfully inspiring book I recently discovered from my mother entitled Entre Nous. It's subtitle: "A Woman's Guide to Finding Her Inner French Girl". Sounds like another book glorifying this lofty ideal we Americans have of the French. Yes, sort of, but so much more. I haven't yet finished the first chapter and already I've had to stop and try to breathe the author's wisdom in. I don't want to overwhelm you with all its goodness at once so let me just take my time and post little excerpts that speak to me in my quest for an authentic and graceful life.

"If you strip away the stereotypes and contradictions about her, one of the fundamental qualities associated with the French girl is her sense of self possession. She is entirely, unequivocally self-contained. She is focused on living her own full life, following her own agenda and cultivating her actual self, rather than reinventing herself or pining away to be someone she's not. Throughout her life, she invests herself in learning and experiencing, not to change who she is, but to become more fundamentally and more fully who she truly is."

No comments:

Post a Comment